Hello again! With three days remaining in this series on colour, today’s theme is “Black”. Black is that curious colour that many people refer to without considering that scientific aspects of the colour itself. For example, the colour is actually an absence of the various colours of the spectrum or an absorption of light itself. Of course, most of us are referring to something else when we use that term to describe something or someone. For the purposes of today’s prompts, I will focus more on the perception of something really dark rather than the scientific nature of this colour. I will be avoiding politics and identity politics as well because they will distract from the purpose of these themes.
Western movies used the iconic “black hat” to allow the audience to pick out the hero of the story. This methodology was used for many years. Compare this to the classic superstition about coming across a black cat. Where it is the symbol of a hero for the Western it is transformed into the cause of bad luck or a familiar for a witch. In Japan, it is apparently a transition for men to wear a black kimono on their wedding day.
It is often related to death and grief. An end to something can often lead to something new, however. This colour is also tied to black coffee. Caffeine inhibits certain receptors related to sleep, allowing us to stay awake. Coffee is conducive to long conversations
- Text prompts: Charcoal, Ivory Black, Black Ink, Soot, Carbon, Raven, Licorice, Night, Secrets, Mysticism, Magic, Mourning, Death, Gothic, Melancholy
- Title prompts: Black Coffee (Drink), Expresso (Drink), UCF Knights, Black Cat (Superstition), Black Mark (Society), Panther (animal), The Underworld, Benedictine Order, Anubis, Hel, Hades, Black Knight (Myth and Legend), Black Market, Marilyn Manson, SS Uniform (Nazism), Black Army (Anarchism), ISIS (Terrorism + Religion), Lucifer
- Quote prompts: “It doesn’t matter if it is a black or white cat, so long as it catches mice” Deng Xiaoping quote, “I was wearing black clothes almost from the beginning. I felt like black looked good onstage, that it was attractive, so I started wearing it all of the time.” Johnny Cash quote, “Black and white is so abstract; Looking at a black and white photograph, you are already looking at a strange world.” Joel Sternfeld quote, “I want to be different. If everyone is wearing black, I want to be wearing red.” Maria Sharapova quote, “Good communication is just as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after.” Anne Morrow Lindbergh quote, courtesy of BrainyQuote
- Article prompts: Black (colour) @wikipedia, Black (word) @Merriam-Webster
- Audio prompts: Walking On A Blackhole by The Transisters from Under Control, Scourge of the Black Spot by Sounds Like Chicken from …Like a Cannonball to the Ocean Floor, Blackwing Butterfly by Sekshun 8 from Black Winged Butterfly
- Visual prompts: All Things Black @Pinterest
Best of luck with today’s prompts. As always, if you think of anything that I missed then post away in the comments section. I look forward to reading what you guys come up with.