It is New Year’s Eve again. Once every year it happens and everyone gets excited about it. Sure, it is a token celebration, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. As for me, I don’t intend on doing much tonight, other than playing some Star Wars: The Old Republic, reading some trashy romance, and getting the first few chapters of White Noise finished after pissing about for several months. So, what have I been up to since my last update? Same old, same old. But here are the specifics:
- Gaming: Yep, I’ve been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic since it went live. Its been a difficult switch over from the fantasy and free-to-play MMORPGs I’ve played over the past few years. Why? I haven’t played an MMORPG seriously since earlier this year. Though the game is excellent, I still have to learn map, get more of a feel for the storylines (including possible tangents), and class abilities.
- Reading: I’ve read quite a bit of romance and erotica of late. Some of it has been good, some of it has been god-awful, but has been a great learning experience. I’ve reviewed After the Greek Affair by Chantelle Shaw, From Dirt to Diamonds by Julia James and Animal Attraction (Animal #2) by Jill Shalvis. The best of the three books was the last. I did read some other fiction, but was bitterly disappointed. There was a western I started. It had lots of promise, but began to lose me after the fourth chapter with sex scenes that made little to no sense and almost a complete rewrite of the characters introduced in the previous chapters. I also started an urban fantasy that also seemed to have promise, but I didn’t feel a connection with any of the characters. I finished both novels midway through, hence I didn’t bother to review either book. There was a scattering of short fiction (neither romance or erotica) that I caught up with via email subscription. If you guys haven’t done so, then I highly recommend you subscribe to Daily Science Fiction.
- World-building: I’ve gone back to working on Lio, the world setting for Elven Gunslinger. I found that there were huge questions that needed to be answered, and as a result of my recent work, I’ve managed to make some progress in plotting the “planned” novels and novellas. I spent quite a bit of time on the Corallia setting, but it has quite a way to go before it is a living, breathing world. One of my current goals is to finish work on each of the nations for the current era. It is a bit intimidating, but as soon as I get over my anxiety…
- Writing: I did some more work on the first novella for Elven Gunslinger earlier this week. It tells the story of one the more tragic characters, Ellesandra. Of course, I have big plans for the lass during the series. I plotted out quite a bit more of the two series set in the Corallia setting, but some things will likely change during future world-building. Sure glad I didn’t just throw myself into the drafting because it would have required major rewrites. And lastly, I returned to work on White Noise, a superhero action/drama with some sci-fi elements. There isn’t a lot of world-building required, thankfully, but I will be sure to add more to the world setting as time passes.
- Exercise: I have done absolutely no exercise in months. I admit that I am a bit of a slacker, but I intend on changing this with lots more walking, running, weights and inverted situps in 2012. The walking and running will be for weight loss, the weight for muscle gain, and inverted situps for buffing up my flabby abs.
So, that’s what I have and have not been doing since my last update. I probably won’t bother posting an entry on my goals for the new year goals as they are likely very similar to the ones I posted for this year: Read more, write more, eat healthier, exercise more, make more time for my friends.